Practical Information

Additional information for your stay

Visa Information

Those students who do not have a Spanish Nationality or are not EU citizens, should request a “visado especial de estudiante” (special Student Visa) at the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in their country of origin.

Please make sure you have the following documents when applying to the visa:

  • Valid Passport (with a validity of more than 6 months in length for countries outside the European Union).
  • Proof of acceptance and admission from the host institution. This document is usually signed and stamped by the academic authority of the host institution.

As some documentation required to apply to the visa may differ depending on your home country, we strongly recommend contacting the Spanish Embassy/Consulate to request the documentation needed to apply for the special student visa.

Extra documents that might be needed depending on the Embassy/Consulate are:

  • Proof of sufficient financial resources to reside in the host country. This proof of resources must cover accommodation, flight expenses to guarantee the coming and return journey, and living expenses (food, travel, etc.)
  • A medical and health insurance policy which covers medical and hospital expenses, as well as repatriation in the event of an accident or sudden illness, valid for the entire period of stay in Spain.

For more information visit Ministerio de Exteriores

Housing Information

Madrid is a beautiful place to live, and it offers its fair share of neighborhoods to consider when looking for housing in Madrid. It does not matter if you are staying for a semester on full academic year on international exchange, Madrid has the perfect neighborhood for you.

Madrid is right along the average price line for accommodation in Europe, you can usually rent a room in a shared apartment for between €300 and €600. If you are hoping to rent a large space with a few friends, a three-bedroom apartment in Madrid generally runs between €1200 and €1500 per month. Be sure to always check if utilities are included in the rental price, or if they will be additional. Both types of rental contracts are common in Madrid.

Since CUNEF Universidad does not have its own Residence Halls, our Departmental Coordinators will guide students in finding accommodation.

If you decide to take this on alone, sign up for Facebook groups, and try to stay on top of any posts that are made to community boards or classified sites. Just be sure to read the fine print and do not sign on the dotted line until you are 100 percent certain of your decision.

However, if you want to explore what many consider to be the best method of searching for temporary or long-term housing in Madrid, then you should consider signing up with a trusted housing platform. Thus, CUNEF cooperates directly with Citylife Madrid, a Spanish based company founded by International members that orientate and help International Students in settling in Madrid with best accommodation offers.

Citylife works hand in hand with Madrid’s government, universities, and various organizations to provide all students with the best services available while making things simple and easy.

In addition, CUNEF recommends Students the private Residence Halls located near campus such as:

  • Galdos Residency
  • Resa Residence Halls

Health insurance information

Students coming from the EU countries

All international students that come from the European Union must hold a European Health Card with them. With this card, students can visit any center (centro sanitario) to obtain medical attention.

International students who are covered by the European Health Card, must have a supplementary insurance to cover civil liability and repatriation.

For more information visit:

  • European Health Card
  • Medical Centers

Students from NON-EU countries

All international students coming from countries that do not belong to the European Union must have medical insurance.

The student must obtain the insurance before arriving to Spain and it should cover for medical accidentals, hospitalizations, civil liability and repatriation.

The group “Hospitales de Madrid” is a great choice for International Students. These hospitals have official translators on guard and will accompany the student during their medical emergency or checkups. The translators will help to fill out administrative paperwork and forms needed by the student ́s insurance company.

  • HM Hospitals

In addition, CUNEF offers an in-Campus insurance for all international students (inside and outside the EU) in case of any accidentals inside the premises. This insurance has no cost for the student.

Emergency Contact Numbers

    • General Emergencies: +34 112
    • Ambulance: +34 092
    • Fire Brigade: +34 080
    • Civil Guard: +34 062
    • National Police: +34 091
    • Gender Violence Helpline: +34 016
    • Anti-Poison/Drugs Helpline: +34 915 620 420