CLAUSTRO E INVESTIGACIÓN
+34 91 448 08 92
C/ Leonardo Prieto Castro, 2
Giorgio Zanarone is associate professor of organizational economics, and coordinator of the Business Department, at CUNEF. He is secretary of the Society for Institutional and Organizational Economics (SIOE), and a member, among others, of the Strategic Management Society (SMS), the American Economic Association (AEA), and the American Law and Economics Association (ALEA). Giorgio Zanarone has conducted his doctoral studies at Pompeu Fabra University, from which he received his PHD in 2008, and at the MIT Sloan School of Management, where he was a visiting student from 2005 to 2008. He has also been a visiting professor at MIT in 2013. His research focuses on the economics of organizations and institutions, with an emphasis on how formal and informal contracts interact with each other and shape the performance of organizations, including business firms, inter-firm relationships, and the State. His research has been published in leading journals in the fields of organizational economics, law and economics, and Strategy, including the Strategic Management Journal, the Journal of Law and Economics, the Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, the Annual Review of Law and Social Science, and the Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics. He has been a guest speaker at prestigious institutions including MIT, the Chicago Harris School of Public Policy, Tilburg University, CEMFI, and the Center for Economic Policy Research.
- 2003-2008: Universitat Pompeu Fabra, PhD in Management
- 2005-2008: Massachussets Institute of Technology, visiting scholar at the Sloan School of Management
- 2001-2003: Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Master of Advanced Studies in Economics
- 1996-2001: Scuola Superiore S. Anna, BA in Political Science
Áreas de Interés
Organizational Economics, Strategy, Institutional Economics, Law & Economics.
- Colegio Universitario de Estudios Financieros (CUNEF), Director of the Business Department (July 2011 to present)
- Colegio Universitario de Estudios Financieros (CUNEF), tenured associate professor (Oct 2010 to present)
- MIT Sloan School of Management, visiting scholar (Sept 2013-Dec 2013)
- Colegio Universitario de Estudios Financieros (CUNEF), assistant professor (Oct 2008-Oct 2010)
- Italian Antitrust Authority, intern at the Research Department (Sept 2003-March 2004)
OTHER SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITIES AND TITLES
- Legally credited as Associate Professor (Professore di Seconda Fascia) by the Italian National Bureau of Research Evaluation (ANVUR)
- Secretary of the Society for Institutional and Organizational Economics (formerly called “International Society for New Institutional Economics”) (from 2014)
- Member of the Board of Directors of the International Society for New Institutional Economics (2011-2014)
- Member of the Scientific and Organizing Committee of the Annual Conference of the European Association for Law and Economics (EALE), Bologna University (Sept 2016)
- Member of the Scientific and Organizing Committee of the Workshop on “Economic Governance and Social Preferences” organized by the Tilburg Law and Economics Center, Tilburg University (Sept 2015)
- Member of the Scientific and Organizing Committee of the annual conference of the International Society for New Institutional Economics (2010, 2012)
You can find more detailed information on my research and other academic activities, as well as download my articles, on my personal webpage: http://gzanarone.cunef.edu. A list of my publications and current research is provided below.
- “Formal and Informal Contracting: Theory and Evidence,” with Ricard Gil, 2017, Annual Review of Law and Social Science (forthcoming).
- “Endogenous Enforcement Institutions,” with Gani Aldashev, 2017, Journal of Development Economics 128: 49-64.
- “The Double-Edged Effect of Knowledge Acquisition: How Contracts Safeguard Pre-Existing Resources,” with Desmond Lo and Tammy Madsen, 2016, Strategic Management Journal 37: 2014-20.
- “New Frontiers in the Empirical Research on Informal Contracting,” with Ricard Gil, 2016, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics 172: 390-407.
- “Contract Adaptation under Legal Constraints,” 2013, Journal of Law, Economics and Organization 29: 799-834..
- “Coase (1937) revisited: Endogenous Fiat in Firms and Markets,” 2012, International Review of Economics 59: 201-221, special issue in honor of Ronald Coase edited by Henry Smith.
- “Contratos Alrededor de la Ley: El Caso de la Distribución de Automóviles,” 2010, Economía Industrial 376: 111-118.
- “Vertical Restraints and the Law: Evidence from Automobile Franchising,” 2009, Journal of Law and Economics 52: 691-700.
- “Institutional Constraints on Organizations: The Case of Spanish Car Dealerships,” with Benito Arruñada and Luis Vázquez, 2009, Managerial and Decision Economics 30: 15-26
- “Restricting Franchising: An Empirical Analysis of the Allocation of Control Rights in Car Dealership Contracts,” in CAFAGGI, F., Corporate Governance, Networks and Innovation, CEDAM, Padova, 2005.
PAPERS UNDER REVIEW
- "Managing Social Comparison Costs in Organizations," with Oscar Contreras, March 2017, Revise & Resubmit at Management Science.
- “Contracting to Dis-Incentivize,” with Desmond Lo and Mrinal Ghosh, September 2016, Revise & Resubmit at Journal of Marketing Research.
- “On the Determinants and Consequences of Informal Contracting,” with Ricard Gil, July 2015, Revise & Resubmit at Journal of Economics and Management Strategy.
- “Property Rights in Sequential Exchange,” with Benito Arruñada and Nuno Garoupa, July 2017, submitted.
- “The Role of Relational Contracts in Inter-Firm Relationships: Theory and Evidence on Multiunit Franchising,” with Nicholas Argyres and Janet Bercovitz, August 2017, submitted.
- “The Value of Relational Adaptation in Outsourcing: Evidence from the 2008 Shock to the US Airline Industry,” with Ricard Gil and Kim Myongjin, August 2017.
- “Public and Private Firms in the Shadow of Coercive Power,” with Gani Aldashev, May 2017.