Cantero Gamito, Marta
Marta joined the Law Department as Assistant professor (tenure track) in September 2018. Prior to that, she was postdoctoral researcher at the University of Helsinki and research associate at the FiDiPro Project on the External Dimension of European Private Law, funded by the Academy of Finland (2015-2018). During the academic year 2017-2018, Marta was teaching EU law at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). She obtained her PhD at the European University Institute, where she also was research associate an ERC-funded project on European Regulatory Private Law. During the Fall term 2019, Marta is visiting scholar at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society, Harvard Law School.
At CUNEF, Marta teaches legal philosophy and law & economics. Previously, she has supervised LLM theses and taught courses on EU IT law and governance, Internet and telecommunications regulation, EU internal market, regulated markets, data protection and ePrivacy.
PhD in Laws – European University Institute (Florence)
LL.M. in Comparative, European and International Laws – European University Institute (Florence)
MA in International Business and External Trade – Universidad de Córdoba
Law Degree – Universidad de Córdoba
Business Administration Degree – Universidad de Córdoba
Visiting fellowship at University of Oxford (2012), Max-Planck Institut für ausländisches und internationales Privatrecht (2014), y Harvard Law School (2019).
IT law, telecommunications, EU law, regulatory theory, private regulation, transnational legal theory
Associate professor in IT law – University of Tartu (2018 – present)
EU Law Teaching Associate – London School of Economics (2017-2018)
Research associate (Academy of Finland) – University of Helsinki (2015-2018)
Research associate (ERC Project) – European University Institute (2011-2015)
Publications in Scientific Journals
Edited books (editor role)
- The Role of the EU in Transnational Legal Ordering: Standards, Contracts, and Codes, edited volume with H.-W. Micklitz. Edward Elgar, 2020.
- Algorithmic Governance and Governance of Algorithms: Ethical and Legal Challenges, edited volume with M. Ebers. Springer (forthcoming, 2020).
- The Transformation of Economic Law, edited volume with L. de Almeida, M. Djurovic, K. Purnhagen. Hart Publishing, 2019.
- ‘Success or failure? Consumer ODR platforms in Brazil and Europe’, co-authored with R. Nogueira and M.J. Schmidt-Kessen, (2020) 43 Journal of Consumer Policy: 659.
- ‘Best Practices on Platforms’ Implementation of the Right to an Effective Remedy’, co-authored with L. Belli et al. (2019) Computer Law & Security Review.
- ‘Europeanization through Standardization: ICT and Telecommunications’, (2018) 37 Yearbook of European Law: 395.
- ‘Regulation.com. Self-regulation and Contract Governance in the Platform Economy: A research agenda’(2017) 9 European Journal of Legal Studies: 53.
- ‘Dispute Resolution in Telecommunications: A Commitment to Out-of-Court’, (2017) 25 European Review of Private Law: 387.
Chapters in edited books
- ‘Consumers Access to Justice in Asia – A comparative commentary, in Howells, G., Janssen. A. and Djurovic, M. (eds.), Consumer Protection in Asia. Past, Present and Future. Cambridge University Press, forthcoming.
- ‘The legitimacy of standardisation as a regulatory technique in telecommunications’ in M. Eliantonio and C. Caufmann (eds), The Legitimacy of Standardization as a Regulatory Technique. A Cross-disciplinary and Multi-level Analysis. Edward Elgar, forthcoming.
- ‘The role of the EU in the transnational governance of standards, contracts and codes’ in M. Cantero Gamito and H.-W. Micklitz, The role of the EU in Transnational Legal Ordering: Standards, Contracts, and Codes. Edward Elgar, 2020.
- ‘Institutional co-operation in private law beyond the Hague Conference and towards Standard Bodies’, co-authored with H.-W. Micklitz and L. de Almeida, in Wessel, R. A. & Odermatt, J. (ed.) Research Handbook on the EU's Engagement with International Organisations. Edward Elgar, 2019.
- ‘Some reflections on the Self-sufficiency of European Regulatory Private Law’ co-authored with D. Della Negra, in L. de Almeida, M. Cantero-Gamito, M. Djurovic, K. Purnhagen, The transformation of Economic Law. Hart Publishing, 2019.
- ‘The external dimension of the EU Digital Single Market. Geo-blocking and open internet’ in Pihlajarinne, T., Vesala, J. and Honkkila, O. Online Distribution of Content in the EU, Edward Elgar, 2019.
- ‘Proporcionalidad, justificación y no discriminación en las condiciones de acceso al mercado en el alojamiento colaborativo’, in Boix, A. & De la Encarnación, A.M., (eds.), La Regulación del Alojamiento Colaborativo. Viviendas de uso turístico y alquiler de corta estancia en el Derecho Español. Aranzadi, 2018.
- 'Country report Spain', co-authored with Gutiérrez de Cabiedes, P., in Micklitz, H.-W. and Domurath, I. (eds.), Consumer Debt and Social Exclusion in Europe. Ashgate, 2015.
- ‘Leniency Programmes in the Antitrust Fight’, in San Pedro, L. A. V., Suárez, C. H., Almunia, J., Hernández, A. A., Álvarez, R. B., Fuster, L. B., … & de Villa, D. R. R., Private Enforcement of Competition Law. Lex Nova, 2011.
- ‘Los Programas de Clemencia en la Lucha Antitrust’, in San Pedro, L. A. V., Ledesma, C. A., Sáenz, J. A. E., Suárez, C. H., & Gilsanz, J. G., La aplicación privada del derecho de la competencia. Lex Nova, 2011.
- ‘Success or failure? Consumer ODR platforms in Brazil and Europe’, co-authored with R. Nogueira and M.J. Schmidt-Kessen, Copenhagen Business School, CBS LAW Research Paper No. 19-17.
- ‘The Transformation in the Making of Private Law via Telecommunications Regulation’ in Micklitz, H.W.; Svetiev, Y. and Comparato, G. (eds.) The Transformation of Private Law. EUI Working Paper Series LAW 2016/06.
- ‘EU Soft-Law, Internal Market and Private Relationships. The rise of Executive power in the EU. The implementation of the EU Regulatory Framework for Electronic Communications as a paradigm’ in Micklitz, H.W.; Svetiev, Y. and Comparato, G. (eds.) European Regulatory Private Law: The Paradigms Tested. EUI Working Paper Series LAW 2014/14.
- ‘The over-indebtedness of European consumers: Spain’, co-authored with P. Gutiérrez de Cabiédes, in Micklitz, H-W. and Domurath, I. (eds.) The over-indebtedness of European consumers: a view from six countries . EUI Working Paper Series LAW 2014/10.
- ‘Towards the self-sufficiency of European Regulatory Private Law. The case of Telecommunications Services’. in Micklitz and Svetiev (eds.) A Self-Sufficient European Private Law–A Viable Concept?. EUI Working Paper Series LAW 2012/31.
- F. Della Negra, MiFID II and Private Law. Hart Publishing, 2019 in European Review of Contract Law (forthcoming).
- A. Savin, EU Telecommunications Law. Edward Elgar, 2018 in (2020) 57 Common Market Law Review 3.
- A. De Franceschi (ed.) European Contract Law and the Digital Single Market. Intersentia, 2016 in (2017) 25 European Review of Private Law 5.
- J.I. Font Galán, and L.M. Miranda Serrano (eds.), Morosidad, aplazamientos de pago y empresa familiar, 2010, Academia Sevillana del Notariado, in Revista de Fomento Social 261 (2011) 119.