Almunia Candela, Miguel
PhD in Economics from the University of California, Berkeley. Before joining CUNEF in 2018, he worked as an assistant professor in the Economics Department of the University of Warwick (United Kingdom). His fields of research are public economics, economic development and international trade. His research articles have been published in prestigious international journals such as American Econonomic Journal: Economic Policy, Review of Economics and Statistics, Journal of Public Economics and Economic Policy. He has received several recognitions such as the Young Economists Award from the International Institute of Public Finance 2015 and a nomination for the Vanguardia de la Ciencia 2019 Award.
- PhD in Economics – University of California, Berkeley
- Master in Public Administration in International Development (MPA/ID) – Harvard Kennedy School
- BA in Economics – University Carlos III of Madrid
Public Economics, Economic Development, International Economics
- 2018 – present: Research Affiliate, Center for Economic Policy Research (CEPR)
- 2018 – present: Research Affiliate, Oxford Center for Business Taxation (CBT)
- 2016 – present: Research Affiliate: International Growth Center (IGC)
- 2013 – 2018: Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, University of Warwick
- 2009 and 2016: Consultant, World Bank
Publications in Scientific Journals
- “More Giving or More Givers? The Effects of Tax Incentives on Charitable Donations in the UK”, with Irem Guceri, Ben Lockwood and Kim Scharf, Journal of Public Economics, forthcoming.
- “VAT Notches, Voluntary Registration, and Bunching: Theory and UK Evidence”, with Li Liu, Ben Lockwood and Eddy Tam, Review of Economics and Statistics, forthcoming.
- “The Elasticity of Taxable Income in Spain: 1999-2014”, with David Lopez-Rodriguez, SERIEs – Journal of the Spanish Economic Association, vol. 10 (3), Nov 2019, p. 281-320.
- "Expanding Access to Administrative Data: The Case of Tax Authorities in Finland and the United Kingdom", with Jarkko Harju, Kaisa Kotakorpi, Janne Tukiainen and Jouko Verho, International Tax and Public Finance, vol. 26 (3), June 2019, p. 661-676.
- “Under the Radar: The Effects of Monitoring Firms on Tax Compliance”, with David Lopez-Rodriguez, American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, vol. 10 (1), Feb 2018, pp. 1-38.
- “Are Men and Women-Economists Equally Distributed Across Research Fields? Some New Empirical Evidence”, with Juan J. Dolado y Florentino Felgueroso, SERIEs – Journal of the Spanish Economic Association, vol. 3 (3), Sep 2012, pp. 367-393.
- “From Great Depression to Great Credit Crisis: Similarities, Differences, and Lessons”, with Agustín Bénétrix, Barry Eichengreen, Kevin O'Rourke, and Gisela Rua, Economic Policy, vol. 62, April 2010, pp. 219–265.